Dry skin on eyelids may be caused due to various reasons and underlying conditions. Some of the causes and treatment options for dry skin on eyelids are discussed below.
There are many symptoms such as redness, soreness, itchiness, and irritation, etc., which may accompany dry skin on eyelids. It is important to note down such symptoms as it helps in effective diagnosis and treatment.
Some of the signs and symptoms accompanying dry skin on eyelids are listed below:
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Crusting of eyelashes
- Eyelids itchiness and swelling
- Peeling of eyelids skin
- Blurry vision
- Burning sensations in the eyes
- Watery eyes
- One of the most common causes of dry skin on eyelids is blepharitis. It is an eye disorder that causes chronic inflammation of the eyelids. Some of the additional symptoms of blepharitis are itchiness, dryness, redness, and overall discomfort and irritation of the eyelid skin.
- Corneal anomalies can also result in dry skin on eyelids
- Dryness and eyelid inflammation is also caused due to dermatitis of the eyelids. It is accompanied by other symptoms which are similar to those dermatitis cases which occur in the rest of the body. In addition to dry skin on eyelids, patients may also experience itchiness and irritation of the eyelids.
- Decrease in the production of tears due to abnormalities of the tear glands can lead to lowered eye lubrication. This can ultimately cause dry eyes, which can later progress to eyelid and eye irritation, severe ocular dryness, and dry skin on eyelids.
- Eye shadows, mascara and other similar kinds of eye makeup may contain ingredients that damage the eyelid skin or cause an allergic response. Increased use of such items can activate a bout of dry skin on eyelids.
- Allergic reaction to bee stings can also result in dry skin on eyelids, swelling, and reddening.
- Excessive use of shampoos or soaps to rub and cleanse the eyes can result in dry eyes, which can later cause an episode of dry skin on eyelids
- Various kinds of eye infections can also cause dry skin on eyelids in addition to dryness, swelling, and inflammation of the eyelids.
- Contamination of the eyelid skin can occur when people touch their eyes directly after consuming food or handling chemical items, without washing their hands. This can lead to dry eyes, thereby increasing the risk to dryness of eyelids’ skin.
Treatment of dry skin on eyelids is aimed at finding out the cause, managing the symptoms, and curing the underlying disease.
- Blepharitis and eyelid dermatitis can be treated with medications, while dry eyes can be cured with eye drops
- Mild instances of dry skin on eyelids may be alleviated with the use of moisturizers. It is however important to ensure that the moisturizer does not contain allergenic ingredients.
- Patients also need to regularly clean the affected eyelids with little amounts of baby shampoo and lukewarm water, so as to wash away the crusts. Avoid the use of makeup till the time the eyelid problem is completely resolved.
Category: Diseases and Conditions